Sunday, February 7, 2010

Six Words ~ Basis for my BJP pages

Although I'm off to a rather slow start on February's page, I just posted my six words on my blog, here and later today I plan to start beading the page!

Just a reminder to everyone... please don't post pictures or even detail peeks of your BJP pages here on the three BJP blogs until after April 1st. You're welcome (make that encouraged) to post them on your personal blog, Flickr or other site and then post a link to your pictures here. The reason is because some people don't want to see what others are doing until they have a good start on their own style of page.

The above is a policy we started the first year because some of the participants requested it... Does it still make sense? Should we change it? Thanks for your thoughts about this...

Robin A.

5 comments:

Gerry Krueger said...

It will be interesting to see what the "oldtimers" think, but as a first timer I would love to see the pictures posted on the BJP blogs... and the more, the better. I think the visual stimulation would be fun...It loses something going blog to blog to blog but that's just my opinion....

My camera came finally and I downloaded the manual today...
Gerry K.

robin michelle said...

I do see both sides but have to come down in favor of seeing pictures easily and early. When I started the BJP last year it was more than a little intimidating seeing the work others were doing. But it was also tremendously inspiring and I doubt I'd have continued without that inspiration. For me, I think that in the first month or so it is especially helpful to see other work to help refine my own ideas on what I want to do.

I understand wanting to be sure you are following your own style but nothing is done in a vacuum. We are influenced by so many things I think it's difficult to say where style comes from. For me the inspiration, ideas and sheer pleasure I gain from looking at everyone's work outweighs any concerns about style or feelings of intimidation! I think even in working a packaged kit we often create our own style by changing a color or stitch. Certainly in working on a BJP no matter how influenced we may be by someone else, I think we are still creating our own style.

It can be time consuming going from blog to blog. I put a lot into my Google feedreader so I don't miss updates but I know that I'm still missing a lot of wonderful work.

Carol said...

I tend to like the pictures not being on this blog page until later. I have enough trouble as a beginner coming up with ideas. I don't want to find out someone else had a similar idea and be scared off, not do I want my piece to end up being derivative of someone else's idea/ I have even avoided looking at the past galleries for BJP for that reason.

kaiteM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kaiteM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.