Wednesday, November 10, 2010

November piece done with Sgraffito in positive space

Hi all - So, I'm early this month and will start Dec tonight! In this piece I used the Sgraffito method of enameling using the positive image. In January I also used the Sgraffito method. But it's different as I've committed to myself to use a different technique of enameling each month. In Sgraffito, the raw enamel is scratched away. The difference between the two is: in January, what was scratched away formed the image of the design (the design was the negative space); in November, what was scratched away was the outline of the design (the design was the positive space) and then the design was wet packed with color. See the full November piece with its description. In this piece I also used silk ribbon embroidery and I dye my own ribbon. I totally love this type of embroidery and recommend it to all who want to expand what they add to their bead work.

Have a Beady Great Day. Karen L. Cohen

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jody said...

Oh my goodness, what a tease, the finished jewel is beautiful, I just love the colors & the design with the dragonflies.
Thanks for sharing.

Lots of idea's are brewing with the new BJP of 2011

Cyndi L said...

This piece is just STUNNING, Karen. Of course, I have loved all your pieces this year, but you just keep surprising me each month with the new ideas you come up with :-)

beadbabe49 said...

I love the finished piece...the enamel piece makes the most gorgeous focal point and the ribbon embroidery adds a level of texture I really like!

Robbie said...

What a wonderful piece!!! Love the colors and all the different stitching! Of course, your enamel piece just sets the entire piece off!